Sunday, January 2, 2011

Day 2 of 2011 and Once Again Food Rules - Five Guys

I am a carnivore. I admit it. I like meat. Red meat and still mooing. I know that sounds disgusting to many people but I figure since I've been eating rare burgers and steak since I was a kid and am still alive and blogging about it, eating rare meat is not a death wish (now watch me keel over dead after I finish this blog.

My son has semi-inherited my love of all red meat. He will eat the Chinese teriakyi steak sticks (who doesn't) and my meatloaf and burgers with cheese and ketchup - and that's it.

I,on the other hand, load my burgers with as many "fixings" as possible. And THEN I put on enough ketchup to fill a small country.

Today my son and I had supper at Five Guys, a no-frills burger place in Framingham that sells hamburgers, cheeseburgers and hamburgers and cheeseburgers and hot dogs, I think. My best friend Julie recommended this place and said "get the little burger." The "little" burger was a bit bigger than average size - plenty for me and clearly, for my son. And it was NOT flat as a pancake like Mickey D burgers.

The place is decorated simply. Small square wooden tables and wooden chairs, red and white decor, and get this - peanuts in the shell on the table in a cardbord container. Just one of those no-nonsense burger joints.

I think I inhaled my burger - it was that good. Cheeseburger with lettuce, tomato, grilled mushrooms and jalapenos. And a lot of ketchup. Yah, I know, people say why bother getting the burger if you're just gonna drown it in ketchup. Excuse me - I am the one eating the burger and I can taste the burger just fine thank you very much.

But Five Guys burgers were absolutely outstanding. Not too greasy but just enough grease to give the burger amazing flavor and not too thick that you couldn't take a seriously big bite. I don't know what the "regular" burgers look like - but the "little" burgers were definitely worth the first mouthful.

The french fries are real fries made from real potatoes right on the spot I think 'coz I saw bags and bags of potatoes stacked up on the floor as I walked in the door. There was a steady stream of customers coming and going and we did not wait even 10 minutes to get our order. Jake inhaled his burger. Mine was already digesting by the time he finished his.

The fixings are FREE - yes, I said free. And free refills on the soda. Kind of a throwback to the restaurants of the old days. I had to ask the cashier if I was reading the "free fixings" and "free refills" right.

This place is definitely worth bringing family to. I think they have hot dogs so for the young kids, it may be worth it to try this place out. I'm not a big hot dog eater but I'd be willing to try one if the dogs are as good as the burgers.

You know what I wish? I wish I was independently wealthy that I could take an entire summer off with my son, buy a motorhome and travel around the country and eat at all the places the Travel Channel touts as the Top 100 Best Places to eat in the country. How cool would that be???? Of course, having dropped nearly 35 pounds, I'd have to find a pool and/or a health club at which to swim or get on a treadmill every day so as not to gain the weight back! And of COURSE I'd have to take in as many major league ballgames as possible along the way. Jake and I have a standing invitation to a Kansas City Royals game if we ever find ourselves in KC.

But seriously, how much fun would that be to do that?

How much is Megamillions on Tuesday?????????!!!!!

No comments: